Wednesday 31 August 2011

Old School Dungeon Encounter Table

I wasn't happy with any of the options for rolling up dungeon monsters. Strictly from desperation, I stocked the first level of my megadungeon with some heavily fudged use of a 3rd edition encounter web gadget, the kind that gives you dragonforged were-undead goblin rangers with the Mighty Cobra Clutch feat.


So over the months, I went ahead and cobbled up one of my own with a more old-school feel, both in source material, and in coming up with too-big-to-fight encounters every now and then. It has my usual table style - roll 2 keep low, d6:d6 rolls - and it manages to stock the lower levels heavily with Varlets & Vermin monsters. Download from the right. Let me know if it doesn't work; once again I've tried the "download from link only" version in the vain hope that Google Docs will actually work.


If you're interested in hacking it, let me know and I can send you a Word copy.

4 comments:

  1. That's an inspired table. Thank you. If I restart my low level game with my grandkids, I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mechanics you came up with. Good job.

    By the way, the mezzodaemon is not a demon or a devil, but a daemon (mezzoloth in the second edition, methinks). also the level modifier table at the bottom left of page one misses a minus from -4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very interesting...I'd love to take a run at for my T&T game.

    ReplyDelete